When you first receive your EV3, you should update both your EV3 software and brick firmware versions.
Many users continue to run the default software and firmware versions.
1.1. Steps to update your SOFTWARE:
1) Open the EV3 Programming Software you installed earlier
2) From the Help Menu, pick “About LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3”
3) A pop-up window will appear, showing the version of the software you are running (Home or Education and the Version number)
4) Download and install a newer version if needed
1.2. Steps to update your FIRMWARE:
1) Connect your EV3 to the computer
2) Open your LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Software and go to Tools Menu and click “Firmware Update”.
3) A pop-up window will appear, showing you the current firmware on the EV3 brick and any updates available.
4) Follow instructions to update your brick. If you are running the Educational version of the software, you will automatically be given Educational editions of the firmware to update.